Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The following is my full statement on what happened and has occurred since my termination.

I was terminated by my employer on January 18th, 2013. They said I was hurting myself in front of customers and being a danger to others. This was not true. I was scared, did not have a car, and was unable to go to a doctor. Two weeks later I was terminated for hurting myself. I was never asked to write a statement or fill out an incident report, which I always have been told I have to when something happens, even on the most minor things.

My employer said that I did it intentionally, only this time I did not. They kept talking and drilling into my head that I did, but that was not the case. There are plenty of inaccuracies, and the department manager Brandon Hare has even will say he did not see what was going on, was helping another customer, and has bad eyesight, which his girlfriend, who also works in the store, Ashley Vanhorn, will attest to as well.

Brandon Hare had to write a statement over it, and he was told yes he had to. This department manager, while he had been a friend, not more than 10 minutes before was talking to another department manager, Coleman Hillhouse, calling me a rat and other hurtful things. I had gone to ask him to please stop and ask why he was doing that at work. Keep in mind earlier that day my head was sore where I had bumped my head on my bathroom counter getting my hair straightener.

I had the combination lock from my locker in my hand, I had it in my apron and the weight was dragging it down so I was carrying it. Well he wouldn’t talk to me and was ignoring me so I started to cry. I didn’t want him to see or anyone else so I tried to cover my face and in the rush and underestimating my strength, the lock hit against my forehead, right where I hit it earlier in the bathroom. I started to feel dizzy and sick from that and crying, and grasping for a nearby shelf I lost my balance and slammed my head right into it, busting it open. There was blood all over. The department manager said I need to go back to my department, but then he saw the blood on my head and called for the manager.

After I cut myself after a writeup in November, I had been receiving counseling and getting help, which they say I did not. I have documentation, as well as they do that I had been getting help, through services provided by my employer. While I had two incidents on my record, overall I had good attendance, good reviews, and a promotion in the almost three years I was there. My store manager always spoke highly of my customer service skills to management and other employees. They have been aware that I have severe anxiety and depression issues stemming from transition, and my HR Erin Ledesma, has stated numerous times it may be due to my hormone levels.

I have reason to believe it is in part due to my transition from male to female at work (transgender) and my mental instabilities from last year due to severe anxiety and depression. It seems that they are basing the recent incident on a past incident and I was termed by them automatically am assuming I did it to myself on purpose. I feel so insulted and degraded. I worked the two weeks after the accident with no problems.
During my termination, not much was said, but I did ask the store manager why I was not able to write a statement. He said it was because the department manager did. That raised a flag to me because this department manager has always said he would treat me as one of the guys, and that signals he doesn’t approve of my transition so he may have fabricated some aspects of the story as well.

I had also attempted to take a leave of absence over what happened in November, but I was confused by it. My HR refused to provide any meaningful help and kept referring me to the company intranet. I tried on my own several times but I just could not get it.

I should also mention not more than two weeks before, a coworker named Ian Andrews was suffered a head injury after falling off a ladder. Even though I had not seen the whole thing, I was still required to write a statement by the assistant store manager, Jennifer Houghtlin.

Anyway, I have been having a few problems the last few weeks since the injury. It throbs and my head aches, which at first I attributed to just everyday things but it seems to emanate from the spot the shelf made contact. It gets so bad sometimes I feel nauseated and have to lie down. The wound has not healed very well either, despite my best efforts with antibiotic creams (such as generic Neosporin).

I went to,

First Med Urgent Clinic
805 W Covell Rd #200 Edmond, OK 73003(405) 844-1633

They asked me what happened and where. I told them exactly as I told you. Then the clinic told me they could not see me unless I had the Lowe's insurance information, not my personal Lowe's insurance, which I tried to use, even asked "why can't I just use the last sliver of my own insurance?"

They said because I stated it was a workplace injury that I needed this information from Lowe's to be treated. They said something about comp and that Lowe's has it's own provider that is to be used. Since I had told them at happened at work they said they said they could not take my personal insurance or just take me as a general admin. I did not know what to say so I left.

I attempted to contact Steven Elliot the assistant store manager and the manager who took the initial injury report at the store, after I was made aware of this. He stated he was not aware of aware of anything I had to give them. I have since tried to get a hold of Erin my HRand even sent her an email but nothing.

Not sure what to do. I know your bound by policies and certain things but please advise if you can.

Thank you for your time.

Corrie Kasal
(405) 517-4290

No comments:

Post a Comment